Friday, January 5, 2018

Top 10 Books That I Read in 2017

Note: not all, or many of these actually came out in 2017. I am a bit behind. But as a mother, missionary, and wife, and I proud I made it to actually READING 10 books this year! :)

1. The Alongsiders Story: (gasp: I got to pre-read this and write some reviews for it! Totally an honor, and I loved every minute of it!)

This is not a normal book. And it really isn’t for a normal audience. But if you have a passion for discipleship, for building leadership, and for finding viable ways for changing the world (specifically focused on developing countries), then this is a book for you.
As I read it, I felt a deep pang in my heart and wished I would have had this book in my hands ten years ago when I was brainstorming, with a couple of other missionaries, about what Living Stones was and should look like on paper. Because in many ways, this is a manual for guiding principles and practical steps to starting a movement: raising up leaders to walk alongside chosen “little brothers and sisters,” and disciple them.
While there are many differences between Living Stones and Alongsiders (the ministry this book shares the story, vision, and how to of), the heart is the same, and the practicality is something I am learning from and hope to implement more in my own coordinating efforts. While reading this book, I was either nodding my head in agreement, laughing softly as we’d (Living stones) lived or learned the same lesson, or jotting down notes of ideas of things to do for the future.
This book, more than any other I have ever read on missions, is practical and step by step. Since it is telling the story of, and inviting you into, the Alongsiders movement, it is clear and concise in a way that all of my college mission’s books were not (and oh how they frustrated me!). As someone who kind of “fell into missions” and worked to get training as I went, I have not found many books to be practical in this sense.
It is also just darn exciting. The vision is clear and simple and you pick it up and say “Wow! I want me some of that!” Obviously, this book is most useful for someone who is looking to join in the Alongsiders movement actively and directly, but the book is also very important to those not as directly related to developing countries/discipleship of youth in understanding where missions in general is heading and some good guidelines in stepping back and letting God work, especially through local leadership.

2. Subversive Jesus (by Craig Greenfield--same guy who wrote book #1 on this list) I already blogged a ton about it HERE.


3. Justice Calling by Palmer Chinchen: “The three cries of the future church: they long for purpose: “Why am I here?” they demand authenticity: “Don’t sell us cheap imitations.” And they want justice:  “We are for the common good and against oppression.” I just especially liked the author's enthusiasm.


4. Unoffendable by Brant Hansen: This is THE BOOK FOR THE TIMES (at least if you semi-live on social media), and I wrote more about it HERE.


5. Assimilate or Go Home by D.L.Mayfield: probably my favorite book this year, read right when I needed it. SO much more written about it HERE


6. All Things New by John Eldredge: just finished this today! Such a good encouragement to be living with eternity in mind--just what I needed.


7. Peter and Starcatchers series by Dave Barry: these were fun books to read when I couldn't do anything else and was waiting (for 6 weeks) for my baby to pop out.


8. The Broken Way by Ann Voskamp: I actually haven't quite finished this. I am savoring each page and kinda really don't want it to ever end.


9. It's What I Do by Lynsey Addario: Lynsey is a war photographer, and she shares her life in this story I randomly found at the library for my kindle (which is how I get my books in Brazil)

10. Executing Grace by Shane Claiborne: Looking Biblically at the death penalty, something I really hadn't done. Made me think, reconsider, wonder, and cry.


No comments:

Post a Comment